Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dinner in a Pumpkin

Ingredients:
1 1/2 to 2 lbs. ground beef
Salt and pepper
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (optional)
1/2 cup celery, finely diced
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
1 small to medium pumpkin
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 can (15 ounces) french style green beans, drained
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
2 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom or celery soup
1/2 to 1 cup milk
1 (8oz) can sliced water chestnuts, drained

Directions:
Cut off top of pumpkin and thoroughly clean out seeds and pulp.
Preheat oven to 350 F. (for saving time... start cooking the rice now) In a large skillet brown beef. Add onions, celery. And mushrooms and cook until the beef is crumbly and no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper. Add both cans of soup. soy sauce, rice, beans, and water chestnuts and 1/2 cup of milk. Stir to combine. If mixture looks too dry add a little more milk. Spoon mixture into the cleaned pumpkin shell. Replace pumpkin top and place entire pumpkin, with filling, on a baking sheet. Bake 1 hour or until inside meat of the pumpkin is tender. Put pumpkin on a plate. Remove pumpkin lid and serve. You can also scoop out cooked pumpkin and serve.

From:
Review:
Such a fun idea! Yeah so you are suppose to be able to eat the pumpkin too... and every time I think it's a great idea, but really pumpkin alone isn't all that great. We had a big dinner and my friend Lyndsi made her own rendition of a dinner in a pumpkin with chicken. They were both good. That was such a crazy day! I threw it all together in about 30 minutes (including cleaning the pumpkin out and everything!) Then it just had to cook. I liked it:) and I'm glad people were willing to try it! I probably got too big of a pumpkin... but it still worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment